Re: is xdvi broken?

On Mon, Apr 22, 2019 at 08:06:01AM +0000, rlharris@oplink.net wrote:
> On 2019.04.22 06:51, Bill Wood wrote:
>
> >Is there a reason not to use pdflatex?  My workflow then is
> >= In emacs, save the doc foo.tex
> >= switch to a virtual terminal
> >= execute "pdflatex foo.tex" (as many times as needed)
>
> Why would it be necessary to execute pdflatex more than once?

Index generation, cross references, things like that (pagination
decisions are taken at the latest possible moment, so references
to the current page (number) and more so references to following
pages are not resolvable in the first pass. If you're nasty, a
page break might depend on the width of a not-yet-known page number
which depends itself on... you get the idea).

Other things potentially needing more than one pass: long tables
spanning several pages.

> But to print from evince requires that I take my hand off the
> keyboard and reach for the rodent in order to print.
>
> Kindly forgive my lack of perception, but I do not see why it is
> advantageous to introduce into my work routine a PDF file and a PDF
> viewer such as evince.

Dvi workflow is pretty minimal, and I love it when I can get away
with it. OTOH, pdflatex (and lualatex) have tricks which the more
traditional workflow can't play.

For some examples, go browse http://www.texample.net

Sometimes, a good visualization is worth a lot.

Cheers
-- tomás