Re: Accessing a host with variable IP addresses / connection types

On Thu, 18 Apr 2019 10:10:38 -0400
Michael Stone <mstone@debian.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 18, 2019 at 10:00:28AM -0400, Celejar wrote:
> >Can you point me to such documenation? You've said that it's a trivial,
> >straightforward change: what, exactly, do I do to start using IPv6?
>
> Find an IPv6 provider. There's not much debian can document about that.

Fair enough, but your previous suggestion "So use IPv6" then really
means "Find an IPv6 provider", which, given the lack of otherwise
appropriate ISP alternatives, either means "significantly compromise on
cost or value", or implement some of third party tunnel service. And
what about the ISP on the remote side, which I certainly don't
control?

> Alternatively, for internal-only stuff, you can use ULAs. IPv6

The context of our discussion is seamless and collision-free host access
across a VPN, not "internal-only stuff" - unless your directions below
are going to work even when the ISPs on both ends don't provide IPv6?

> autoconfiguration is generally handled at the router, which is still
> generally not a debian documentation question. Once you have something
> on the network advertising the local prefix then your debian systems
> will either autoconfigure or can be configured to do so fairly
> trivially (add an "inet6 auto" line in /etc/network/interfaces for the
> appropriate interface or click the corresponding button for other
> configuration mechanisms). But mostly this isn't a debian-specific
> question.

Thanks,

Celejar