Re: Accessing a host with variable IP addresses / connection types

On Wed, 17 Apr 2019 08:15:09 -0400
Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> wrote:

> Currently, my LAN is 192.168.0.0/24, which is also the addressing
> scheme of some of the networks out of my control that I'm setting up a
> VPN link from. I deliberately used 10.0.0.0/24 for the VPN to avoid
> address collisions with these other networks. It did occur to me to
> consider using a different address space, for the VPN or perhaps for
> the whole home LAN, but I'd rather not take that step just to solve
> what seems a relatively simple problem unless absolutely necessary

If you do get pushed to doing that, there are a few commonly used
networks that you should avoid. 10. is often used with a netmask of
/24 or /8, and the latter precludes all 10. variants. Of the 192.168.
groups, 0, 1, 8, 16 and 254 are often used, best use something quite
random like 192.168.137.0/24.

Probably better still is one of the 172.16-172.31 groups, which don't
seem to be used as defaults very often.

--
Joe