Re: New laptop: need advice on choice of file system types

Jonathan Dowland composed on 2019-04-16 09:17 (UTC+0100):

> On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 01:38:12PM -0400, Felix Miata wrote:

>> Both DFSee and IBM
>>BM use the last sector on the first track for data storage, including useful
>>cataloging data. Even when not having IBM BM installed, its data sector is
>>(optionally) used by DFSee, by me, always.

> So I gather that you believe DFSee (or some functionality of DFSee that you
> rely upon) is incompatible with LVM.

>From it's logging I have filesystem/operating system inventory that facilitates
clone, backup, restore, move, etc., all available wherever a disk happens to be
accessible, without requiring mounting anything or support for any particular
filesystem:
http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Dfsee/gb250L07.txt
http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Dfsee/p5bseL05.txt

I can't imagine that Gnu LVM wouldn't escalate complications of the complicated
environment that multiboot is.

> But I didn't understand this particular
> point about the last sector on the first track… is that a region of a physical
> drive prior to the first physical partition (assuming an MBR partitioning
> scheme)?

Typically it's either LBA sector 0x1F or 0x3E.

> This alone would not prevent you using LVM, which one would typically
> layer on top of traditional partitions.

That sector contains information not available elsewhere, originally intended for
constructing IBM BM's boot menu and functionality, with OS/2 LVM data later added.
It wouldn't prevent using Gnu LVM, but neither could it assist with cataloging of
Gnu LVM content. Gnu LVM would be an extra layer only accessible via Linux tools,
entirely outside the scope of what works for me now.

All this disregards the issue of LVM's physical discontinuity when sector level
rescue operations are indicated by the gap between failure and most recent backup.
This alone would keep me from considering its addition here. I'm well beyond a
point in time when any change in routine could be considered anything but hostile.
I strongly resist fixing what ain't broke.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/