Re: New laptop: need advice on choice of file system types

On Fri, Apr 12, 2019 at 4:51 PM Tom Browder <tom.browder@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have used ext4 for many years while I have been watching zfs and
> btrfs being developed. I am now considering using one or both on at
> least one partion during my upcoming new Debian installation.
>
> Can anyone recommend either one for a normal (non-developer,
> non-hobbyiest) user who does backups and values his data and wants
> reasonable reliability?

I've used btrfs on every machine for a many years, and I'm very happy
with it. Run it on my server with various disks, desktop, and laptop.
It has saved my data from silent corruption due to bad hardware where
ext4 would just return bad data, and it's a breeze to take very quick
backups thanks to the snapshot and btrfs-send functions. You just have
to learn the new tools.

I've replaced disks more or less live on my sever and it works well.

I'm not going to play with hacking in a non-native filesystem. ZFS is
great if you run FreeBSD, but I run debian main and prefer not to
support contrib and non-free.