Re: New laptop: need advice on choice of file system types

Jonathan Dowland composed on 2019-04-15 10:28 (UTC-0400):

> On Fri, Apr 12, 2019 at 05:36:00PM -0400, Felix Miata wrote:

>>LVM's extra layer(s) would render my backup/restore system that depends in large
>>part on cloning useless.

> I don't quite understand this, would you care to elaborate? Thanks!

My system's inception dates back more than two decades, before I ever installed
Linux, before I became conscious of FOSS. I began then using cross-platform DFSee
exclusively as my partitioner and IBM Boot Manager manager when its only binaries
were DOS, OS/2 & Windows. Later were added Linux, then MacOS. Both DFSee and IBM
BM use the last sector on the first track for data storage, including useful
cataloging data. Even when not having IBM BM installed, its data sector is
(optionally) used by DFSee, by me, always. As DFSee evolved, so did my system, and
PC collection. Portions of DFSee's automatic logging double as my inventory system
for dozens of multi- multiboot PCs, some with upwards of 30 operating systems.
DFSee is a lot of things, but GNU LVM manager from an OS/2 or floppy boot isn't
one of them.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/