Re: A call to drop gnome

On 16.04.2019 22:54, Matthew Crews wrote:
I will concede that as long as Nvidia drivers do not play nicely with
Wayland (and they don't AFAIK), X will still be required. But I did just
read that Plasma 5.16 landed Nvidia patches that let it work under
Wayland with Nvidia, so maybe not that much longer in the future?
You could run Gnome with nvidia back in 2017 already. Run a console and a browser with hardware acceleration support, but that was about it.
Unless Nvidia will make stable drivers with Wayland support and there will be some kind of back compatibility layer implemented in Wayland, to allow to run "legacy" software, I'll stay on X and on Stretch.
I agree with the fact that we must migrate to Wayland to test it and provide feedback, but it needs to be a build house, just without furniture, not a mere scaffolding that being build last 10 years.

(and unfortunately, people will still buy and use Nvidia cards, and want
support for them whether or not the drivers are FOSS).
There are no alternatives. Red cards, despite their flashy marketing, still don't have drivers to fully support them and games with native Linux ports don't support them officially.
Blue cards are simply out of the league.
Fair enough. I personally think KDE or even XFCE should be the default
DE for Debian, but thats just my opinion and the the topic of endless
debate. We will be in circles debating what we think the default DE for
Debian should be. As long as the Debian installer gives us a choice (and
as long as a variety of Live images for each major DE are available), it
doesn't really matter in the end.

I do not think that Gnome should be removed from Debian as long as Gnome
works fine. As far as I'm concerned, it does work fine. Perfect? No, but
good enough IMO.

Gnome is not just a DE, so it surely won't go anywhere. There is too much ecosystem that couldn't be just thrown away.
And every other DE (except maybe KDE) uses parts from Gnome.
As for Synaptic, if I really want something going on my system, I'll backport it and throw it's deb package into special folder with the rest of backported things I use.
But for now, I plan to stay on oldstable (stretch) for a couple of years and watch how things will be developed from a distance.

--
With kindest regards, Alexander.

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org