Re: A call to drop gnome

On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 07:54:18PM +0200, Matthew Crews wrote:
> I will concede that as long as Nvidia drivers do not play nicely with
> Wayland (and they don't AFAIK), X will still be required.

That's very simplistic point of view.
What about Wayland on non-x86, like ARM or MIPS (a hint - it does not
work there, X does)?
Or, for example, whatever they put instead of videocards in servers
these days. Before you ask - I personally saw people putting X on
servers.
Or, something deceptively simple. Debian 10 in QEMU running Wayland.

> But I did just read that Plasma 5.16 landed Nvidia patches that let it
> work under Wayland with Nvidia, so maybe not that much longer in the
> future?

That's just scratching the surface of it. Contrary to the popular
option, video card world does not ends at Intel, AMD and Nvidia.

> (and unfortunately, people will still buy and use Nvidia cards, and want
> support for them whether or not the drivers are FOSS).
>
> >> Some major ones even USE Wayland by default where possible.
> >
> > [Scratches head] SUSE? Surely that's what you meant?
>
> Off the top of my head, Fedora, SUSE and Ubuntu (as of 18.10) use
> Wayland by default.

Ok, I stand corrected.

> >> This all stems back to Synaptic being removed from Debian Buster right?
> >
> > In this particular thread we discuss a wish of a Debian User, who in no
> > uncertain terms expressed that GNOME should be dropped from the Debian.
> > I mean, look at the Subject.
>
> Fair enough. I personally think KDE or even XFCE should be the default
> DE for Debian, but thats just my opinion and the the topic of endless
> debate.

I see no debate. GNOME is a primary DE for Debian on i386 and amd64 for
now, and had been for many years, barring that XFCE hiccup back in 2010
(only sid was affected).

> We will be in circles debating what we think the default DE for
> Debian should be. As long as the Debian installer gives us a choice (and
> as long as a variety of Live images for each major DE are available), it
> doesn't really matter in the end.

[Carefully looks at synaptic] Does it?

> I do not think that Gnome should be removed from Debian as long as Gnome
> works fine. As far as I'm concerned, it does work fine. Perfect? No, but
> good enough IMO.

Such trolling topics are a rare source of pure entertainment here.
I do not take them seriously, YMMV.

> On this mailing list, though, I could see a progression from "why is
> synaptic removed from Debian Buster?" to "Lets remove Gnome", hence why
> I brought it up.

Different topics, different OPs. Mostly the same participants, sure.

Reco