Re: Stretch with MATE DE - odd new file association problem

Le 15/04/2019 à 23:05, Richard Owlett a écrit :
[...]
>> root@fromdell:/home/richard# update-alternatives --config
>> gnome-www-browser
>> There is only one alternative in link group gnome-www-browser
>> (providing /usr/bin/gnome-www-browser): /usr/bin/firefox-esr
>> Nothing to configure.
>> root@fromdell:/home/richard#
>
> That tells me "something"       P.S  but what?

That, strictly speaking, your system knows only firefox-esr as an
alternative.
Since Seamonkey is not packaged by Debian, when you install it, the
installation procedure does not declare it as an alternative, so you
have to do it yourself.

> Educate me -- What should I be reading?

man update-alternatives (I guess --set and then --config commands, not sure)

or you may use galternatives (GUI) that would be easier to add Seamonkey
as an alternative X-&-Gnome-browser and declare it the default.