Re: A call to drop gnome

Hello,

On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 04:54:02PM +1000, Keith Bainbridge wrote:
> I say this is NOT freedom.
>
> Of course new users accept the defaults on a fresh install - I guess that
> like me 20 years ago, they presume the defaults will work best.
>

> So, I am asking that gnome be dropped as an installation option (not just as
> the default desktop) until they encourage freedom.

Just so I understand correctly, is this a serious request to remove
the freedom of the current GNOME user base to install it, in order
to encourage the GNOME project to be more free?

As in, it is not enough that an ignorant GNOME user might stumble
across something they can't configure and decide to explore other
desktop environments: they must be prevented from initially using
GNOME, instead being forcibly introduced to some other DE and only
able to use GNOME by installing it later with the package manager?

Perhaps I have misunderstood, but if I haven't, which DE do you
think should be the new default? Would it be Mate as you use now, or
some other?

Cheers,
Andy