Re: A call to drop gnome

	Hi.

On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 04:54:02PM +1000, Keith Bainbridge wrote:
> On 15/4/19 9:31 pm, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:> Because GNOME. GNOME's upstream
> said their word loud and clear, and that
> > word is - 'thou shall use Wayland for it is our favorite toy now'.

I wrote it, in reply to Thomas e-mail. Please watch who you quote.

> Now Tomas quips about gnome is insisting that we like a new video process,
> just because the team have decided to like it lots.

No. What I wrote that for several years you had the possibility to run
GNOME on Wayland. And it will be the default in the next stable Debian.
Because (and here you're correct) - upstream wants that everyone use the
GNOME that way.

You have the ability to run GNOME over X. For now. I predicted that such
ability may disappear in unspecified future (probably - years). Because
GNOME upstream is (in)famous for feature removal.

> I say this is NOT freedom.

The usual arguments apply.
Don't like it - patch it. Patches are welcome. They have the commit bit
- you do not. Etc.
And yes, there are some who did exactly that - Mate DE, Cinnamon DE to
name a few examples.

> So, I am asking that gnome be dropped as an installation option (not
> just as the default desktop) until they encourage freedom.

There's an appropriate place for such wishes, it's called
https://bugs.debian.org.

Reco