Re: Exploring package interrelationships

On Monday 15 April 2019 09:28:12 Cindy Sue Causey wrote:

> On 4/15/19, tomas@tuxteam.de <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:
> > Debootstrap is a harsh mistress (yeah, stolen from somewhere). But
> > you might end up liking it once you get the hang of it...

Somewhat off topic, but your reading material in your formative years
Cindy, is sadly lacking in familiarity with the output of one of the
last century's most prolific  Sci Fi authors named Robert A. Heinlein.
Specifically his treatise on living on or "in" the moon.  Go to your
public library and check out "The moon is a harsh mistress" and remedy
that lack. ;-)  I think you'll go back and get some more of his output.

> Don't know if I ever heard that, at least not that I can remember that
> topic specifically. I just know that debootstrap always *WORKS FOR
> ME*.
>
> Well, *IT WORKS* except for that one time that root kept yelling, "I
> HAVE NO NAME!" That eventually turned out to be caused by symlinking
> /debootstrap-directory/var/cache/apt/archives to an offline dotDEB
> file hoard. Accidentally discovered that using "mount -B" instead of
> "ln -s" solved root's identity crisis.
>
> I've been "bored" lately and so was going to spend some time nosing
> around to see if any other methods are dialup friendly. What you
> said... I'll have to poke around at that, too. Something in the very
> back of my head is nagging that I may have read some disgruntled
> chatter LONG before it ever made enough sense to find a more permanent
> spot toward the front of the class where its topic would remain more..
> [conscionable]. :)
>
> Cindy :)

I had forgotten there was still diakup country Cindy, my sympathies. But
with Pi at the FCC, its not going to be fixed on his watch, he is in big
telecom's pocket. "A Republic, Mam, if we can keep it", but we've not
been doing that good a job.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)