Re: Exploring package interrelationships

On 04/15/2019 03:39 AM, Peter Wiersig wrote:
Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> writes:
Long term goal: *personal* definition of a minimalist Debian

current goal: grok how packages interact

http://www.macfreek.nl/memory/Dependency_Graph_Debian_Packages
TLDR:
$ apt-cache dotty mate-desktop > dependency-graph.dot
$ dot -Tpng  dependency-graph.dot

After I posted I found a reference using Graphiz with "apt-cache dotty"
I haven't read the documentation yet.

I tried you example and got a command not found at second line.
I found a man page for "dot" then went looking for a package to provide it -- found/installed xdot.

Using "dot -Tps dependency-graph.dot > owl.ps" I got a displayable, if not readable, graph. There was a warning in what I had read about "dotty" about viewablity issues if the graph was too complex. Suspect that is problem.

That either creates files named after the input or at least shows a
graphic of the package you specified.

I think I remember and older planet.debian.org post where someone else
had done similar.  Have not found it in a very short research session.

Alternatively explore interactive with aptitude when you disable the
solver there and pick the resulting installation by hand, and decide
which suggest/recommend you follow, and which non-essential package you
might even not install.

I can't parse that sentence. By context I suspect I can do some searching which will clarify.

Peter