Re: Cannot re-install synaptic on Buster.

	Hi.

On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 08:18:20AM +0100, Paul Sutton wrote:
> Thanks for your reply, as, on a related note, this helps me with the
> basic presentation that I an working on.  I was aware that synaptic is
> now removed, but I wasn't aware what it it had been replaced with

Not 'replaced' per se. gnome-packagekit is not a new software - as far
as Debian concerned - it predates jessie. Its features are inferior to
synaptic, which is what one can expect from the GNOME software, so its
no wonder that its popularity was low in Debian. Until now, that is, as
gnome-packagekit seem to be the only viable alternative to synaptic
assuming the user will run a Wayland session.
And said session is the default with GNOME, as of buster.

> I get info on what is in buster from this page
> https://wiki.debian.org/NewInBuster

As I wrote, gnome-packagekit ain't new. I expect that [1] will be
updated sooner or later though.

> Would it be worth updating this page so others know to use
> gnome-packagekit instead, even if this information is elsewhere.

I suggest you to update [2]. After all, they made this page for a
reason, and it provides obsolete information as of buster.

Reco

[1] https://www.debian.org/doc/books
[2] https://wiki.debian.org/QuickPackageManagement