Re: terminal with right-click = paste?

On 4/12/19, tomas@tuxteam.de <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 12, 2019 at 01:56:36AM -0400, Lee wrote:
>
>> so I don't know if case is significant or no
>
> Typically, an object (application, widget within an app, etc.) has
> a lower-case name, where object classes have an upper case name.
>
> The result is that it often doesn't matter whether you target an
> object or its whole class in the resource specification.

Thanks - that got me looking in the right place.

It turns out you need to _not_ be too general.  Originally I had
  XTerm*Translations: #override \
and got warnings every time I started an xterm.  Apparently I was also
changing the translations for menus or something..
Change it to
  XTerm*VT100.Translations: #override \
and no more error messages.

Same deal with setting XTerm*geometry and seeing only a small bit of
the popup menu.

I still haven't found a doc describing the button modifiers - eg
                 ~Meta <Btn1Down>:select-start() \n\
  !Lock Ctrl @Num_Lock <Btn1Down>:popup-menu(mainMenu) \n\

If anybody knows where the modifiers (Meta, Ctrl, Lock, etc) and
qualifiers (~!@ etc) are documented, please share.

Where I am now - a usable xterm, no error messages, left
double-clicking on a filename selects the whole filename,
right-clicking pastes the text and <ctrl>left/middle/right click&hold
brings up the appropriate menu popup

$ cat .Xresources
XTerm*faceName: DejaVu Sans Mono
XTerm*faceSize: 12

XTerm*scrollBar: true
XTerm*rightScrollBar: true

XTerm*VT100.geometry: 120x24
! NOTE: XTerm*geometry: NxN  also changes the popup menu size!

XTerm*VT100.Translations: #override \
     ~Ctrl ~Meta <Btn1Down>:  select-start() \n\
     ~Ctrl ~Meta <Btn1Motion>:select-extend() \n\
     ~Ctrl ~Meta <Btn1Up>:    select-end(PRIMARY, CUT_BUFFER0) \n\
     ~Ctrl ~Meta <Btn3Down>:  ignore() \n\
     ~Ctrl ~Meta <Btn3Up>:    insert-selection(SELECT, CUT_BUFFER0) \n
! --- maybe this is applicable?
! https://www.x.org/archive/X11R7.6/doc/man/man5/Compose.5.xhtml
!   Each modifier consists of a specified modifier and a state:
!     (! MODIFIER ) | None
!   Modifiers may be preceded by a "~" character to indicate that the
modifier must not be present.

XTerm*VT100.charClass: 45-47:48,95:48,126:48
! I like being able to double-click on a filename & having the text selected
! So add dash (45), period (46), slash (47), underscore (95) and tilde (126)
! to the aplhanumeric character class (48)
!   man xterm
!   / int charClass
! the number below the character is the character class
! notice that all the letters & digits are character class 48
!
! $ echo -n "-./_~" | od -a -td1
! 0000000    -    .    /    _    ~
!           45   46   47   95  126