Re: 'synaptic' removed from buster

On 4/10/19, Nazar Zhuk wrote:
> On 4/10/19 10:58 AM, David Wright wrote:

>>> The severity of the bug in synaptic (which is what has caused its
>>> autoremoval)
>>> would not be "serious" if the default desktop was not Wayland. So
>>> changing
>>> *that*, would mean synaptic could be reintroduced.
>>
>> So Debian should have its policy dictated by bugs in an unrelated
>> package. Seems an odd strategy.
>
> If a change (Wayland default) is introducing issues to a stable (in a
> generic sense) system, shouldn't the change be postponed until the
> issues are resolved? Perhaps with the help from the change proponents.

My understanding is that
  sudo synaptic
not working for anybody other than root is a desired feature of
Wayland - not something that would or should be fixed.

But I'm also under the impression that logging in as root & running
synaptic works, so removing synaptic altogether still seems a bit
excessive.

Lee