Re: 'synaptic' removed from buster

On Fri, Apr 05, 2019 at 09:39:23PM -0500, David Wright wrote:
  "Why not make a [Conflicts:] with Wayland / Gnome? It's not
   possible to make sure that synaptic installs on a [Conflicts:]
   that would remove Wayland?"

This is probably the easiest option to support as it should be
possible to implement just by adding a line to the two Packages
files for the architectures affected.

This is not a proper use of Conflicts:.

Xorg and Wayland stuff can be installed side-by-side. Synaptic works fine on
Gnome/Xorg. A conflicts: against Gnome would be nonsensical; a conflicts:
against Wayland would prevent installing Wayland on a system that has Synaptic
already, even if there was no intention to use them together; or prevent
Synaptic installing on a system with Wayland present, even if it wasn't in use.

Given a straight toss-up though, I think synaptic has to give way because
there are plenty of alternatives. I'd never heard of it until a few people
started mentioning it here, and I'd never consider using it myself on X except
as an ordinary user.

The severity of the bug in synaptic (which is what has caused its autoremoval)
would not be "serious" if the default desktop was not Wayland. So changing
*that*, would mean synaptic could be reintroduced.

--

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Jonathan Dowland