Re: 'synaptic' removed from buster

On 4/10/19 10:58 AM, David Wright wrote:
On Sat 06 Apr 2019 at 08:42:31 (+0100), Jonathan Dowland wrote:
On Fri, Apr 05, 2019 at 09:39:23PM -0500, David Wright wrote:

Given a straight toss-up though, I think synaptic has to give way because
there are plenty of alternatives. I'd never heard of it until a few people
started mentioning it here, and I'd never consider using it myself on X except
as an ordinary user.

The severity of the bug in synaptic (which is what has caused its autoremoval)
would not be "serious" if the default desktop was not Wayland. So changing
*that*, would mean synaptic could be reintroduced.

So Debian should have its policy dictated by bugs in an unrelated
package. Seems an odd strategy.

If a change (Wayland default) is introducing issues to a stable (in a generic sense) system, shouldn't the change be postponed until the issues are resolved? Perhaps with the help from the change proponents.

--
Nazar