Re: build vs install

On 4/9/19, Brad Rogers wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Apr 2019 14:58:22 -0400
> Lee wrote:
>
> Hello Lee,
>
>>OK - good to know.  Somehow I'd got the impression that systemd was
>>moving to a windows registry type thing for config data instead of
>
> I've no idea about that.  I don't think systemd is really relevant to
> the topic under discussion here, though.

I thought systemd was the new way to start services.  Having ttcp
automatically run as a service means I don't have to ssh into the
other machine & start the receiver manually.

But for things that don't run as a service, you're right - systemd
doesn't enter into the picture.  Maybe I can still use /etc/init.d or
/etc/services to get things started & keep systemd out of the picture?
 It's been a long time since I've had to do unix admin type stuff & it
seems like most everything I learned is out of date.

Regards,
Lee