Re: build vs install

On 4/9/19, Michael Howard wrote:
> On 09/04/2019 19:03, Lee wrote:

>>> You could build a debian package from the source and let apt take care
>>> of install/updates/uninstall. Admittedly, it could be a bit of work
>>> initially with versions so far apart as above but it is an option.
>> That's an interesting idea.  Get the debian stuff from
>>    https://packages.debian.org/stretch/nuttcp
>> and see which patches still apply to the current version of the software.
>>
>> But I'm missing what letting apt take care of
>> install/updates/uninstall gets me since I'd be the one creating &
>> updating the home-built package.
>>
> It's simply a case that apt then knows that ttcp is installed and at
> what version in case of conflicts or security aspects etc. If you simply
> do a ./configure && make && make install or what not, apt has no idea
> what you've done.

hrmmm..  I'm still at the using synaptics stage of installing/updating
packages but I can see how that might be the better way to go.  I'll
take a look at how to make & install a home-built package & see if it
looks doable in a few hours.  Otherwise it goes on my ever-expanding
would-be-nice-to-do-someday list

Thanks
Lee