Re: putting config files under revision control

On 09/04/2019 23.09, Lee wrote:
> On 4/9/19, hdv@gmail wrote:

>>> Thank you!

>>> Maybe someday.  They'd be nice to learn, but they seem to be massive
>>> overkill for home use.  ..or at least for my home use.
>>
>> If you want to keep things simple, maybe this perl-script I wrote years ago
>> might be what you're looking for. Think of it as a visudo-style tool for
>> config
>> files (really just any file you can edit with vim). Just use the --manual
>> option
>> to read its man page. Basically it copies the file before editing to a
>> location
>> of your choosing, keeping its attributes if you want it to.
>
> Thanks for the script.  It looks easy enough to understand, which is
> always nice :)

You're welcome. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

P.S. I wrote it because I didn't want to have another daemon running only for
this. I have nothing against git or some such, but for this I thought it to be
overkill. Especially on servers.

Grx HdV