Re: build vs install

On Tue, 9 Apr 2019 13:30:45 -0400
Lee <ler762@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Lee,

>> package installer may write the configs somewhere other than where the
>> creator does, for example.
>But they're still all text files - right?  There's nothing like MS

I'd hope so, yes.  IOW, I'd hope the Debian maintainers don't change
config styles.  Of course, there are several organisations that seem to
like SQLite for config files.  I'm not sure what, if any, advantage
SQLite offers over plain text though.

>Windows registry that you might have to clean after uninstalling
>something or installing in a different location?

Almost certainly not.  You should be awarethat distro maintained
packages usually put binaries in /usr/bin/, libraries in /usr/lib/ and
so on.  Self-compiled software most often puts stuff under
/usr/local/bin/, /usr/local/libs/ etc.  Occasionally, upon removal, some
stuff might get left behind, perhaps resulting in erratic behaviour.
Such things are rare, thankfully.

--
 Regards  _
Gary don't need his eyes to see, Gary and his eyes have parted company