Re: date(1) in stretch and buster

On Tue 09 Apr 2019 at 14:03:08 (-0400), Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Tuesday 09 April 2019 09:38:43 Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> > On 2019-04-08 18:26:23 +0300, Reco wrote:
> > > stretch$ TZ=UTC date
> > > Mon Apr  8 15:22:02 UTC 2019
> > > buster$ TZ=UTC date
> > > Mon 08 Apr 2019 03:22:04 PM UTC
> >
> > This is unrelated to your issue, but note that the correct TZ string
> > for UTC is "UTC0", not "UTC". See
> >

> > http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/basedefs/V1_chap08.htm
>
> Yikes. Can that be actually put into English?
>
> I've read thru it, and the only thing I can come away is that 'if UTC,
> then offset is required, and it can be anything from -23 to +23,
> including your example 0 meaning no offset from UTC.
>
> As it now reads, theres a ton of ambiguity that needs further
> clarification.

I'd agree. I really can't see how you can use UTC6 as a timezone
though it makes sense as an offset. But in that case, UTC is UTC,
and the zero is just tautological.

We avoided the problem when I went to sea by using the letter codes,
Z(ulu), A(lpha), B(ravo) etc. because there are no civil timezones,
daylight savings times or anything else.

Cheers,
David.