Re: date(1) in stretch and buster

On Tuesday 09 April 2019 09:38:43 Vincent Lefevre wrote:

> On 2019-04-08 18:26:23 +0300, Reco wrote:
> > stretch$ TZ=UTC date
> > Mon Apr  8 15:22:02 UTC 2019
> > buster$ TZ=UTC date
> > Mon 08 Apr 2019 03:22:04 PM UTC
>
> This is unrelated to your issue, but note that the correct TZ string
> for UTC is "UTC0", not "UTC". See
>

> http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/basedefs/V1_chap08.htm

Yikes. Can that be actually put into English?

I've read thru it, and the only thing I can come away is that 'if UTC,
then offset is required, and it can be anything from -23 to +23,
including your example 0 meaning no offset from UTC.

As it now reads, theres a ton of ambiguity that needs further
clarification.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)