Re: date(1) in stretch and buster

On Tuesday 09 April 2019 14:39:19 David Wright wrote:

> On Tue 09 Apr 2019 at 14:03:08 (-0400), Gene Heskett wrote:
> > >
> > > This is unrelated to your issue, but note that the correct TZ
> > > string for UTC is "UTC0", not "UTC". See
> > >

> > > http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/basedefs/V1_chap08
> > >.htm l
> >
> > Yikes. Can that be actually put into English?
> >
> > I've read thru it, and the only thing I can come away is that 'if
> > UTC, then offset is required, and it can be anything from -23 to
> > +23, including your example 0 meaning no offset from UTC.
> >
> > As it now reads, theres a ton of ambiguity that needs further
> > clarification.
>
> I'd agree. I really can't see how you can use UTC6 as a timezone
> though it makes sense as an offset. But in that case, UTC is UTC,
> and the zero is just tautological.
>
> We avoided the problem when I went to sea by using the letter codes,
> Z(ulu), A(lpha), B(ravo) etc. because there are no civil timezones,
> daylight savings times or anything else.
>
> Cheers,
> David.

I've at times wondered about that, but I never did any military service,
seems the were wanting cannon targets for Korea. I made a 98 on the AFQT
in '53 or so, which automatically got me 4F'd. Obviously they didn't
want anyone who could think. The next best score in just under 140 boys
that took that test that day was 36.  He of course would take orders.
They didn't have time to mess with somebody who would question orders.
60+ years later I can say I've had a good ride thru several technical
fields. I have a list of BTDT's that not many could match.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)