Re: date(1) in stretch and buster

Gene Heskett, on 2019-04-09 :
> On Tuesday 09 April 2019 09:38:43 Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> > This is unrelated to your issue, but note that the correct TZ string
> > for UTC is "UTC0", not "UTC". See
> >
> > http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/basedefs/V1_chap08.htm
>
> Yikes. Can that be actually put into English?

Good Day Gene,

For general use, you might prefer to stick to a geographical
location, instead of a time zone code.  This way you don't have
to wonder if you are either in Daylight savings or not, if your
offset is -4 or +4, etc.  Maintainers of `tzdata` handle that
for you (a great "Thank You!" to these people by the way).

Usually, people in my neighborhood would use the equivalent of
the following, for instance:

	$ TZ=Europe/Paris LC_TIME=fr_FR.UTF-8 date
	mardi 9 avril 2019, 20:14:07 (UTC+0200)

Perhaps you will prefer setting a location nearer to yourself:

	$ TZ=America/New_York LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8 date
	Tue 09 Apr 2019 02:20:00 PM EDT

The output may differ depending on you operating system level,
given Reco's observations.  Feel free to have à look at
/usr/share/zoneinfo/, to have an idea of the available
locations.

Kind Regards,
--
Étienne Mollier <etienne.mollier@mailoo.org>