Re: old never used memorex cd media

On Wed, 03 Apr 2019 11:26:40 +0200
"Thomas Schmitt" <scdbackup@gmx.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Curt wrote:
> > They [CD media] seem to be on their way out the door as a medium
>
> I ceased arguing against that claim 10 years ago. :))
>

> About Gene's adventure so far, i don't see the media type in the
> first row of suspects.
> The drive is more likely to be the culprit. How old is it ?
>
> Then there are the storage conditions of the blank media. Five years
> of lighting would be a good reason for the dye to get bad.
> Temperature might play a role. (Fungi rather not.)
> If it is about CD-RW, then a few rounds of blanking and writing might
> revitalize a tired dye.
>
> We might get more info if Gene would report the messages of
>
>   xorriso -outdev /dev/sr0 -toc
>
> while a fresh medium is in the drive.
> Drive model and Media model and manufacturer would tell something
> about the minimum age of the involved hardware.
>

> Mainboard "m2n-sli-deluxe" ... 10 years old ?
> Nevertheless, i'd expect that some of its USB ports would be
> recognized by the BIOS as candidates for booting.
> This thread from 2008
>   https://forum.pcmech.com/threads/m2n-sli-deluxe-boot-to-usb.197068/
> ends by
>
>   "The issue wasn't changing the boot sequence order by adding USB but
>    rather adjusting the "Hard drive" option in the boot sequence to
> check usb first and then hard drive."
>
> Something for Gene to try independently of his installation adventure.
> Just check whether an USB stick with the netinst ISO boots to the
> first Debian menu (which is a ISOLINU menu, probably).

I've owned at least one computer (retired now) that would not boot from
a USB stick but would boot from a USB-connected CDROM or hard drive. I
have another computer (my main workstation) which will boot from USB
media even when disabled in the BIOS and last in the boot sequence. I
regularly come back to the machine and find a hung boot because I
forgot to remove a USB stick.

--
Joe