Re: old never used memorex cd media

On Wednesday 03 April 2019 05:26:40 Thomas Schmitt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Curt wrote:
> > They [CD media] seem to be on their way out the door as a medium
>
> I ceased arguing against that claim 10 years ago. :))
>

> About Gene's adventure so far, i don't see the media type in the first
> row of suspects.
> The drive is more likely to be the culprit. How old is it ?
>
> Then there are the storage conditions of the blank media. Five years
> of lighting would be a good reason for the dye to get bad. Temperature
> might play a role. (Fungi rather not.)
> If it is about CD-RW, then a few rounds of blanking and writing might
> revitalize a tired dye.
>
> We might get more info if Gene would report the messages of
>
>   xorriso -outdev /dev/sr0 -toc
>
> while a fresh medium is in the drive.
> Drive model and Media model and manufacturer would tell something
> about the minimum age of the involved hardware.
>

> Mainboard "m2n-sli-deluxe" ... 10 years old ?

The manual copyright says 2006. I think it was later than that when I
bought it to build this machine.

> Nevertheless, i'd expect that some of its USB ports would be
> recognized by the BIOS as candidates for booting.
> This thread from 2008
>   https://forum.pcmech.com/threads/m2n-sli-deluxe-boot-to-usb.197068/
> ends by
>
>   "The issue wasn't changing the boot sequence order by adding USB but
>    rather adjusting the "Hard drive" option in the boot sequence to
> check usb first and then hard drive."

Its not a choice in the bios, version 1701 (the original Enterprise)

> Something for Gene to try independently of his installation adventure.
> Just check whether an USB stick with the netinst ISO boots to the
> first Debian menu (which is a ISOLINU menu, probably).

Apparently no need, by the time I got 5 down in the spindle of cd-r's,
they were good. If light degrades them, thats a good explanation for the
top of the stack to be fussy. I should throw something over the
remaining 90 or so on the spindle to slow the degradation. If I think of
it... I've not had a similar occurance with a spindle of dvd-r's, but
they are a year or 2 newer.  Or perhaps put them in a file drawer and
close it to put them in the dark?

> Have a nice day :)
>
> Thomas

Cheers, Gene Heskett