Re: old never used memorex cd media

On Wed, 3 Apr 2019 10:34:20 +0100
Paul Sutton <zleap@disroot.org> wrote:

> On 03/04/2019 10:26, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Curt wrote:
> >> They [CD media] seem to be on their way out the door as a medium
> >
> > I ceased arguing against that claim 10 years ago. :))
>
> CDs are still useful though,  The cost of a spindle of CD-r vs the
> same number of usb flash disks is that hte cd['s are cheaper.  And
> can be given away at install events.
>
> Plus in some ways a Debian CD has a longer useful life. If I made a cd
> of Debian 10.0 it is still useful for istalling Debian 10.9 (when
> released).
>
> I think they are also a cheap thing to give out at install days too.

I still use DVDs for backup. I have a 4GB encrypted file on my laptop,
and at least once a week, copy it to a DVD. The file is filling up now,
so I'll be making a second one soon. On the whole, I don't really care
if a five-year-old disc becomes unreadable, as I have so many other
copies of what is on it. I do check old ones now and then.

And yes, if I spend a lot of time on one file or it is otherwise
irreplaceable, I will immediately make a couple of backup copies on the
USB sticks and SD cards that I carry. One of them has a copy of the
latest backup, so I have my laptop data with me at all times. I also
synchronise much of the encrypted file with my server when I fire up
the laptop at home.

And yes, obviously I don't do video editing. I haven't yet filled the
4GB after about three years. Most of my files are less than 100KB,
almost all are less than 1MB.

--
Joe