Re: youtube video downloader for chrome

On Sat 23 Mar 2019 at 20:14:18 (+0100), Pierre Frenkiel wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Mar 2019, David Wright wrote:
>
> > almost invariably up-to-date enough, and I don't have to check
> > for upgradesthey just appear, like mainstream updates.
>
>   what do  you mean by "enough" ?

Because it downloads all the videos I'm interested in successfully.
I install software on an as needed basis.

>   why don't use the simple command:
>
>   wget https://yt-dl.org/latest/youtube-dl -O /usr/local/bin/youtube-dl
>   chmod 755 /usr/local/bin/youtube-dl
>
>   the debian stretch version is 2018.09.10

I'll do the maths from my previous post, "The version
I installed from backports on Jan 28 was 11 days old",
so it's dated 2019-01-17.

>   the last one is 2019.03.18
>   But the most important is that the command "youtube-dl --update" is then valid,
>   and you can put it in a crontab
>   An other important feature is that if you have the bad luck to find a bug, you
>   can only report it if you use the last version.

Not interested. You're obviously a more serious user, and so your
managing to cope with escaping characters has been a benefit from
this thread. My own concern is how I fit these downloaders into
my workflow patterns. If they're of any benefit to others, fine.
Otherwise ignore them.

Cheers,
David.