Re: youtube video downloader for chrome

On 03/21/2019 08:41 AM, David Wright wrote:
On Thu 21 Mar 2019 at 15:38:41 (+0100), Pierre Frenkiel wrote:
On Wed, 20 Mar 2019, Celejar wrote:
On Wed, 20 Mar 2019 10:34:42 +0100 (CET) Pierre Frenkiel <pierre.frenkiel@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, 19 Mar 2019, riveravaldez wrote:

Maybe worth mentioning: youtube-dl, exceptionally useful and simple CLI tool.
    useful and simple... but it works only for urls with alphanumeric characters
    I tried with an url containing ? and &, and I got nothing
    I tried also by escaping ? and & with \, and it was not better.
    I'll send you an example later, if you are not convinced...
You can also try putting the url(s) in a file, and feeding the file to
youtube-dl via its -a option.

Celejar

   At last, I fixed everything just by loadind the last version of youtube-dl from the
   yt-dl site
       wget https://yt-dl.org/latest/youtube-dl -O /usr/local/bin/youtube-dl

after that,  I can do either
     youtube-dl --no-playlist  'https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQd1IOyhKS4&list=RDEMlHFFKeq-aYlBhg-LtJ-SHw&start_radio=1'
     or
    youtube-dl https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQd1IOyhKS4 both give
exactly the same result.

My question is why the Debian version so obsolte ans uneliable?
The latest version on the website is three days old. The version I
installed from backports on Jan 28 was 11 days old.

You have to understand that sites like youtube and the BBC can
obsolete youtube-dl and get_iplayer overnight, and they do.
Then some clever people come up with a fix and release a new
version, and I heave a big sigh of relief and thanks. (Most
BBC programmes expire after four weeks, and I'm usually two or
three weeks behind, so a quick fix is vital.)

Debian mainstream doesn't work to that timetable, so you should
check out the backports, where those sorts of package appear.
Fortunately, get_iplayer is a single Perl script so I just
download it from its site and put it in ~/bin, as you can see
from my examples.

Cheers,
David.

Hi,