Re: youtube video downloader for chrome

On Thu 21 Mar 2019 at 10:17:11 (-0700), Fred wrote:
> On 03/21/2019 08:41 AM, David Wright wrote:

> > >    At last, I fixed everything just by loadind the last version of youtube-dl from the
> > >    yt-dl site
> > >        wget https://yt-dl.org/latest/youtube-dl -O /usr/local/bin/youtube-dl
> > >
> > > after that,  I can do either
> > >      youtube-dl --no-playlist  'https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQd1IOyhKS4&list=RDEMlHFFKeq-aYlBhg-LtJ-SHw&start_radio=1'
> > >      or
> > >     youtube-dl https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQd1IOyhKS4 both give
> > > exactly the same result.
> > >
> > > My question is why the Debian version so obsolte ans uneliable?
> > The latest version on the website is three days old. The version I
> > installed from backports on Jan 28 was 11 days old.
> >
> > You have to understand that sites like youtube and the BBC can
> > obsolete youtube-dl and get_iplayer overnight, and they do.
> > Then some clever people come up with a fix and release a new
> > version, and I heave a big sigh of relief and thanks. (Most
> > BBC programmes expire after four weeks, and I'm usually two or
> > three weeks behind, so a quick fix is vital.)
> >
> > Debian mainstream doesn't work to that timetable, so you should
> > check out the backports, where those sorts of package appear.
> > Fortunately, get_iplayer is a single Perl script so I just
> > download it from its site and put it in ~/bin, as you can see
> > from my examples.
> >
> Hi,
> I think you would be better off with:
>
> youtube-dl --update

a) Why?

b) How?

$ youtube-dl --update
Usage: youtube-dl [OPTIONS] URL [URL...]

youtube-dl: error: youtube-dl's self-update mechanism is disabled on Debian.
Please update youtube-dl using apt(8).
See https://packages.debian.org/sid/youtube-dl for the latest packaged version.

$

> also:
>
>  youtube-dl --help
>
> will show all the options.

… and, of course, --update is missing.

But which of these options did you mean to draw my attention to?

Cheers,
David.