Re: iotop - or, checking what is accessing a drive

On 3/22/19 7:39 PM, Michael Stone wrote:
On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 04:23:32PM -0400, deb wrote:

On 3/22/19 4:07 PM, Michael Stone wrote:
On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 03:00:23PM -0500, David Wright wrote:
If you're really worried, first remount the partitions readonly, which
will fail if they're in use. Then unmount them and disconnect.

Just unmount--that will fail if the partition is in use unless extra options are added.

Mike Stone

Actually no.

Actually, yes.
That's where I started at.

A given drive should behave the same on Windows & Linux as far as lights on/off/dimming.

But as I noted earlier, on Windows, the light is OFF, signaling no drive activity upon being removed.

On debian 9.8, it stays on, after repeated dismounts.

Then there's nothing using the drive and you're barking up the wrong tree.

What you're seeing is that windows does a disconnect if you're using the "safely remove" thing. You might be able to get the same effect in linux by running "eject" on the drive, depends on what specifically the drive is looking for.

Mike Stone

I had previously tried eject as well.

Hard light was still on.

My choice was shutdown and pull the cable or pull it out seemingly hot.

Hopefully the tool choices from the others will provide info.