Re: Discussion? New names of betwork devices

On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 05:40:43PM +0100, Hans wrote:
> Am Freitag, 22. März 2019, 17:15:29 CET schrieb Reco:
> > No, this is done by udev. It can be disabled, it can be configured, and
> > it can be left as is.
> >
> I know, that the old style can be kept by either using udev (withg persistent-
> net.rules for example) or by a kernel parm (something like "ifnet.rename=0, or
> similar, forgot the correct syntax)

They did confuse you. All this renaming is done by udev.
Kernel does not need "net.ifnames" at all as it names network interfaces
in the first place.
Udev abuses kernel commandline do grab "net.ifnames", and then udev's rules
check the parameter.

> > > However, I discovered many packages, where are still the old names
> > > preconfigured with the old names.
> >
> > Some examples are in order.
> >
> I had to correct /etc/network/interfaces,

User-written by definition.

> kismet,

Yep, that's valid. I prefer aircrack-ng though.

> wicd-*,

Probably. ifupdown is more than enough for me (that includes 802.11x),
but don't they give a GUI for wicd?

> powertweak,

[1]. Is it a Debian package at all?

> snort

Comes with debconf and interface detection as far I can see it.
But I accept this particular one for the sake of simplicity.

> > Most of the server-side packages that I can think of are either bind to all
> > available interfaces by default, or bind to lo, which is still here.
>
> There were more the desktop users with laptops in my mind.

Does not invalidate my point. One can install a server package on a
laptop if a need arises. I have nginx installed on my *phone* because
it's convenient, for instance.

> > > I know, the last one might be problematic, because the developer never can
> > > know, whhich interface is used (eth0? eth1? wlan0? whatever)
> >
> > Or, for instance, en0p2gibberish. They call them Unpredictable Device
> > Named for a reason.
> >

> Yes, thsis is another thing, which I am thinking of: The names could change
> (in case, when there are more than one network devices are active or the order
> of activing changed).

Long story short, they invented Unpredictable Device Names to prevent
this very scenario.
I'm aware of one major case when it failed miserably (VMWare), and two
minor ones (renaming didn't happen for virtio, and cannot be configured
for USB devices).

> In the past, I forced the order with persistent-> net.rules. Dunno, if
> normal users can deal with it.

I don't hold by breath.

> > > For myself I got the solution: just edited all configs to the new names,
> > > but I believe, for unexperienced users, this could be problematic.
> >
> > So-called "unexperienced" users should not meddle in servers'
> > configuration in the first place.
> > And NIC configuration is hardly relevant for a typical desktop.
> >
> > > And I also believe, an unexperienced user gets in trouble, when nobody
> > > points him, where to look.

They have this list here. They have LUGs. They have
serverfault/stackoverflow (I know, it's a bad manners to mention
*these*).
Last, but not least, there's paid support.

> > I don't know about that. I mean, you wrote here, isn't it? Nobody's
> > stopping this hypothetical "unexperienced" users to do the same.
>
> Remember, this list is in English, not all people do speak English well
> (included myself),

Ditto. But this list is where all the fun happens, so I hang here.
And yes, it has surprising variance of questions.

> and I doubt, most people want to spare the time, to crawl
> through all the lists. They want it just work.

If one desires that one should pay someone who can actually force a
device do the job.
No amount of pre-configuration can change that. Even if we're
considering M$/Apple.

Reco

[1] https://packages.debian.org/search?searchon=names&suite=all&section=all&sourceid=mozilla-search&keywords=powertweak