Re: Printer pull half of a second blank page after the first printed page and stops

On 19.03.2019 1:56, Brian wrote:
On Tue 19 Mar 2019 at 01:45:20 +0500, Alexander V. Makartsev wrote:

On 19.03.2019 0:38, Brian wrote:
The advice is good but is there a good reason to advocate installing
hplip from source rather than from the stretch package?

I didn't advocated per se the installation of upstream package, the
point was to tell OP of it's existence, among the other things.
As I stated before, I never used hplip myself, but it's good to know it
is already in official repositories.
You could have checked beforehand.
There are so many things in my life I'd like to check beforehand.

$ rmadison -s stretch,stretch-backports hplip
hplip      | 3.16.11+repack0-3      | stable            | source, amd64,
arm64, armel, armhf, i386, mips, mips64el, mipsel, ppc64el, s390x
hplip      | 3.18.12+dfsg0-2~bpo9+1 | stretch-backports | source, amd64,
arm64, armel, armhf, i386, mips, mips64el, mipsel, ppc64el, s390x

I would recommend to install upstream package only if the most recent
version of it is absolutely required and I highly doubt it is required
in this case.
You doubt correctlly.

But even then, personally, I'd try to build a backport from source
package available from 'experimental' first, or build from a tarball and
use tools, like 'checkinstall', to make a simple deb package.
Those procedures are right thing to do, but it's for the users to decide
if they are up for the task, because these procedures often require
serious time investment and expertise.
Unnecessary. Backports already exist. It's only a matter of checking.

The latest version of hplip (3.19.1) is only available in 'experimental' for now, so backport of it for stretch doesn't exist. You'd know that it's only matter of checking. :)

--
With kindest regards, Alexander.

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org