David -- [Solved] [Well, not solved,. but sickened by] Re: Group thoughts on: Anti-virus tools

On 3/12/19 11:05 AM, David Wright wrote:
On Tue 12 Mar 2019 at 15:01:32 (+0100), Mart van de Wege wrote:

OP has a point though. The real world happens to have a huge amount of
heterogeneous networks, and asking for tools to keep those systems safe
is legitimate.
I did not perceive the OP's request to be about the case where you
administer lots of machines and you want to use a Debian machine as
a virus-filter for all those other machines running Windows or whatnot.

So I assumed he meant "I do want to run A/V" to mean that he wants to
run an A/V just like all random Windows users feel the need to run some
A/V software on their machine to feel safer.

I tend to make assumptions that the asker of a question knows what they
are talking about. In this case that meant assuming OP had a
heterogeneous environment they wanted to secure.

Sure, this is not always true, but assuming 'just a random Windows user'
is a tad...uncharitable, to say the least. Again proving OP's
disappointment to be correct, alas.
I thought just the opposite, ie that the OP ran a linux system in a
Windows dominated culture. (Isn't the OP posting from a linux system?)
I spent seven years working with linux in an almost totally Windows
(administration)/Mac (proselytising academics) institution, being eyed
suspiciously whenever their fragile systems misbehaved.

This is exactly my situation.

And in more recent years, I've signed up to many systems that carry
warnings like this:

    "If you use […], your computer, modem and mobile phone must meet
     any reasonable requirements we may set; you must carry out your
     own regular virus checks; […] "

A lot of peer pressure (if not T&C) to be always virus-scanning things …

Cheers,
David.

Thank you David

ps

Clamscan caught a trojan and a browser miner in downloaded web pages today.

I feel completely justified in ignoring all the They-don't-really-understand-with-Just-away-from-Windows-with-a-10-foot-pole responses.