Re: Mart -- [Solved] [Well, not solved,. but sickened by] Re: Group thoughts on: Anti-virus tools

>> re: apt solving all? I understand it recently had a long-time vulnerability
>> itself...
>> Linux will get hit more as it gets more popular.
>
> My point is not that APT and/or Debian is bullet-proof (I live under no
> delusion in this respect).  Just that instead of keeping your A/V
> up-to-date, the GNU/Linux approach to protecting oneself from attacks is
> to keep your OS up-to-date.
>

>         Stefan
>

> PS: I guess that means I should have pointed to `unattended-upgrades`
> rather than to `apt` as the solution that corresponds to an anti-virus.

OP has a point though. The real world happens to have a huge amount of
heterogeneous networks, and asking for tools to keep those systems safe
is legitimate. Acting like purity ponies and basically going "Here's a
nickel kid, buy yourself a real OS" is immature at best.

I share OP's disappointment in the level of the replies they got.

Mart

--- AJS, quoting an uncertain source.