Re: User rw Permissions on New Hard Drive

David Wright wrote:

> I would not expect to find the characters
> /dev/disk/by-label/ anywhere in the partition.
>
> That string belongs to the linux system, not to the card.
>
> That's what I meant by "actually belongs to the filesystems".

  OK, that's clear and I understand.

>> I'm not clear about which other sort of label
>> might be referenced by LABEL=
>
>   I'm not either but if I use /dev/disk/by-label
>   I  think  I know what sort  that  is .... :)
>
>  OK, I thought you had something in mind

  Actually, I was thinking about the slot for partition name
  that shows up in gparted as a possible source of confusion,
  at least to me.

  I've always left that one blank when partitioning
  with gparted and used the plain vanilla  label  slot.

> BTW, in looking at   man mount   (to remind myself of the -L option),
> I noticed that it actually mentions this business:
>
>   "The recommended setup is to use tags (e.g. LABEL=label) rather
>    than /dev/disk/by-{label,uuid,partuuid,partlabel} udev symlinks
>    in the /etc/fstab file.

  It's been so long since I've checked man mount
  that I've completely missed this recommendation.

> Tags are more readable, robust and portable."

  I would agree after the informative discussions here
  that the  LABEL=  tags in fstab are probably more
  robust and portable.

  But my feeble mind still believes /dev/disk/by-label
  is more readable to me personally as it just
  seems more explicit ....  :-)

--
Stanley C. Kitching
Human Being