Re: User rw Permissions on New Hard Drive

David Wright wrote:

> I prefer to populate fstab with canonical information
> that actually belongs to the filesystems that are to be mounted.

  I don't understand what you're saying here.

  Does a disk label not belong to a filesystem
  that is to be mounted ?

> A filesystem  that has a label,
> has that label regardless of any OS.
>
> It's real, defined in the filesystem's documentation.
>
> All that stuff in /dev/disk/ is just an ephemeral
> bunch of convenient symbolic links, presumably conjured
> up by udev or somesuch, if not the linux kernel

  But are they not accurate after boot
  for particular disks on a particular machine ?

> I'm not clear about which other sort of label
> might be referenced by LABEL=

  I'm not either but if I use /dev/disk/by-label
  I  think  I know what sort  that  is .... :)

--
Stanley C. Kitching
Human Being