Re: Swapping Drives - Sanity Check

On Sat, Feb 23, 2019 at 08:50:08PM +0000, mick crane wrote:
> On 2019-02-23 17:03, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

[...]

> I'm not very good at electricity. As I've had it explained the
> neutral is driven into the ground at the generating station.
> The Earth/ground circuit is supposed to be driven into the ground at
> your house, it's purpose to allow enough electrons to flow to trip
> the RCB/fuse in case there is a short in the local device/wiring and
> also a break in the neutral transmission line between you and the
> generating station.

More or less: what the RCB (residual-current breaker) does is to
sense a difference in current flowing between the phase (aka "hot")
and the neutral conductor. If there's a difference, there must be
some current flowing to ground (possibly through you, but hopefully
through the ground conductor) -- that means there is a path to
ground (not necessarily a short, though). Then the RCB trips.

But this is becoming somewhat... OT I guess :)

Cheers
-- t