Re: Swapping Drives - Sanity Check

On Saturday, February 23, 2019 10:52:20 AM Pascal Hambourg wrote:
> Le 23/02/2019 à 15:41, rhkramer@gmail.com a écrit :
> >>
> >> Right. This is why power pins are longer than data pins in plug&play
> >> connectors, so that they are connected first and disconnected last.
>
> Oops, I meant "hotplug connectors".
>
> > Hmm, that surprises me -- I guess I would have expected that you want the
> > data pins connected first (while no power is applied), and disconnected
> > last (again, while no power is applied).
>
> Why would you want this ? From an electrical or logical point of view,
> it makes no sense.

Well, two reasons:

   * in most cases (other than hot plug) you want to make connections first,
before you turn on the power  (I mean, for example, you don't assemble your
computer with the power on)

   * and somewhat similarly (but in a very different context) in a 3 pin power
plug for an ordinary household outlet (in the US), the ground pin is longer
than the power pins so that the ground is connected before power is applied.