Re: Swapping Drives - Sanity Check

Le 23/02/2019 à 15:41, rhkramer@gmail.com a écrit :
On Saturday, February 23, 2019 07:53:23 AM Pascal Hambourg wrote:
Le 23/02/2019 à 08:53, David Christensen a écrit :
Understand that if you disconnect the power cable to a motherboard,
drive, peripheral, etc., but not all the other cables (e.g. SATA cable),
you can fry electronics.

Right. This is why power pins are longer than data pins in plug&play
connectors, so that they are connected first and disconnected last.

Oops, I meant "hotplug connectors".

Hmm, that surprises me -- I guess I would have expected that you want the data
pins connected first (while no power is applied), and disconnected last (again,
while no power is applied).

Why would you want this ? From an electrical or logical point of view, it makes no sense.

I guess I am behind the times (and I will have to find some Plug-n-PLay device
and look at the connectors).

See my mistake above : hotplug, not plug-n-play.