Re: Can't scan new disk

On 2/16/19 12:30 PM, Mark Allums wrote:
On 2/15/19 9:12 PM, David Christensen wrote:
On 2/15/19 3:24 PM, Mark Allums wrote:
I just bought a new backup disk, and I want to check it. It's mounted in a USB dock.

Running the following gives an error:

root@martha:~# umount /dev/sdb1
root@martha:~# e2fsck -c -c -C 0 -f -F -k -p /dev/sdb1
/dev/sdb1 is in use.
e2fsck: Cannot continue, aborting.

What's causing this and how do I fix it?  It's not MATE; I tried rebooting to rescue mode, but that didn't help.

On 2/15/19 5:37 PM, Mark Allums wrote:
 > ... Seagate IronWolf Pro 12 TB

What is the make and model of the USB dock, and is it rated for 12 TB?

It is an Orico, I don't know the model, and I was not aware there was a "rating" for disk sizes.

Everything has limitations. Figure out the model number, part number, whatever, and research its specifications -- there's no point trying to use a 12 TB drive in a dock that is rated for something elss.

Does e2fsck work when the drive is connected to an internal SATA port?

Hasn't been tried, as I was not aware there was a difference between USB SATA and internal SATA.

The more layers of hardware, software, and/or firmware between the CPU and the SATA port on the drive, the more opportunities for Murphy's Law. When a drive is mounted internally, the connection is something like motherboard CPU -> motherboard PCIe -> motherboard SATA chip -> drive. But for an external USB dock, the connect becomes motherboard CPU -> motherboard PCIe -> motherboard USB chip -> dock USB chip -> dock CPU -> dock SATA chip -> drive. While the motherboard stuff can be FOSS based upon manufacturer supplied reference source code (e.g. Intel), USB drive docks are typically proprietary and closed-source. This makes USB docks next to impossible to trouble-shoot or bug-fix for end-users or FOSS distributors.

Also, it would be highly inconvenient.  I'd like to try other possible solutions first.

The idea is to devise a process of elimination to see if the problem is the drive, the USB dock, Debian, etc..

1.  Try another drive using that dock and Debian.

2.  Try another connection using that drive and Debian.

3.  Try another OS using that drive and dock.

David