Re: Can't scan new disk

On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 14:12:43 -0800
David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com> wrote:

> dock SATA chip -> drive.  While the motherboard stuff can be FOSS based
> upon manufacturer supplied reference source code (e.g. Intel), USB drive
> docks are typically proprietary and closed-source.  This makes USB docks
> next to impossible to trouble-shoot or bug-fix for end-users or FOSS
> distributors.

I'm not sure I understood what you're saying here: do you mean that the
drivers are closed source, or that the silicon design is closed source?
I've used a number of USB-SATA adapters, in docks as well as cables,
and they were all supported by standard in-kernel drivers (although
some of the hardware may have been at least a bit flaky).

Celejar