Re: Can't scan new disk

On 2/15/19 9:12 PM, David Christensen wrote:
On 2/15/19 3:24 PM, Mark Allums wrote:
I just bought a new backup disk, and I want to check it. It's mounted in a USB dock.

Running the following gives an error:

root@martha:~# umount /dev/sdb1
root@martha:~# e2fsck -c -c -C 0 -f -F -k -p /dev/sdb1
/dev/sdb1 is in use.
e2fsck: Cannot continue, aborting.

What's causing this and how do I fix it?  It's not MATE; I tried rebooting to rescue mode, but that didn't help.

On 2/15/19 5:37 PM, Mark Allums wrote:
 > ... Seagate IronWolf Pro 12 TB

What is the make and model of the USB dock, and is it rated for 12 TB?

It is an Orico, I don't know the model, and I was not aware there was a "rating" for disk sizes.

Does e2fsck work when the drive is connected to an internal SATA port?

Hasn't been tried, as I was not aware there was a difference between USB SATA and internal SATA. Also, it would be highly inconvenient. I'd like to try other possible solutions first.

Thanks,

Mark

I use HDD trays and mobile docks for my backup drives:

https://www.startech.com/HDD/Mobile-Racks/Black-Serial-ATA-Drive-Drawer-with-Shock-Absorbers-Professional-Series~DRW115SATBK

I will consider this.

David

Thanks a lot,