Adding/modifying users under MATE DE

I'm creating a Tcl script [to be run as user] which calls dumpe2fs , requiring root privileges. On comp.lang.tcl I was pointed to [https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-unix-running-sudo-command-without-a-password/] which pointed out that a user could be authorized to run specific executables.

Although I'm the only person with any access to my machine, I have avoided using sudo in the past. That article dampened my qualms.

Back in 2015, when wanting to modify users, I was pointed to
"mate-system-tools". According to [https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/mate-system-tools] it has been removed from the repository.

Is there a user friendly alternative?

Following a series of links suggests using visudo. It doesn't look friendly. I'm not sure yet if it can create new users from scratch. There are references to adduser (and relatives) but [https://packages.debian.org/stretch/adduser] gives its home page as [http://alioth.debian.org/projects/adduser/] which seems to be defunct.

Where is a first time user to go for appropriate guidance?