Re: Adding/modifying users under MATE DE

On Mon, 4 Feb 2019 10:34:22 -0600
Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:

> I'm creating a Tcl script [to be run as user] which calls dumpe2fs ,
> requiring root privileges. On comp.lang.tcl I was pointed to
> [https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-unix-running-sudo-command-without-a-password/]
> which pointed out that a user could be authorized to run specific
> executables.
>
> Although I'm the only person with any access to my machine, I have
> avoided using sudo in the past. That article dampened my qualms.
>
> Back in 2015, when wanting to modify users, I was pointed to
> "mate-system-tools". According to
> [https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/mate-system-tools] it has been
> removed from the repository.
>
> Is there a user friendly alternative?

Someone looking to learn is not looking for 'user-friendly', because
'user-friendly' stuff hides what is going on, and doesn't usually give
you any but the simplest options. Use the man page, Luke.

> Following a series of links suggests using visudo. It doesn't look
> friendly. I'm not sure yet if it can create new users from scratch.

No, it's solely for configuring sudo.

> There are references to adduser (and relatives) but
> [https://packages.debian.org/stretch/adduser] gives its home page as
> [http://alioth.debian.org/projects/adduser/] which seems to be
> defunct.
>
> Where is a first time user to go for appropriate guidance?

Google, which should turn up this:

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-add-and-delete-users-on-debian-8

Adding users, adding users to groups and sudo all in one page.

Follow the link at the bottom to more information on sudo, including
details of how to enable use of named commands, either with or without
passwords. sudo is a bit complicated when all you want is a single user
on one machine, but you can just ignore the bits you don't need, like
command aliases and groups.

For adding users, always use adduser from the command line, you know
what is going on then. useradd is the Linux Way, adduser is the Debian
Way, which trumps it. All the room number etc. stuff, just hit return.

--
Joe