Re: trying to install Debian encrypted in an existed partition, keeping the rest as it is ...

On Tue 29 Jan 2019 at 18:15:23 (-0500), Albretch Mueller wrote:
> On 1/29/19, Nitebirdz <nitebirdz@sacredchaos.com> wrote:
> > I used the following two documents sometime ago to perform a similar
> > install. Hopefully, they will be of some help to you too.
> >
> > https://xo.tc/setting-up-full-disk-encryption-on-debian-9-stretch.html
> >
> > https://gist.github.com/ppmathis/ccfbfce86484dc61834c1f17568d7b80
>
>  As you could see, they both describe a Debian stretch -Full Disk
> Encryption- type of installation. I will try to think it through again
> when I find some time

I can see that with the first version, because it chose to use
"Guided - use entire disk"; though I don't know why the installer
doesn't offer the combination of the first option "Guided - use the
largest continuous free space" and the later one with "… set up
encrypted LVM".

However, the second method uses manual partitioning of the disks with
gdisk, so I don't see why sda should not contain a(nother) FAT
partition which is ignored. If the sda partition numbers are all
increased by one, which command is it that would prevent the
method from working?

>  I still don't get why would Debian become so temperamental about
> partitions when you try to install it encrypted

Cheers,
David.