Re: Migrate Stretch to New UEFI Build?

On Mon, 14 Jan 2019 23:41:03 +0100
deloptes <deloptes@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> you need it but you don't know yet
> >
> > Unlikely.  Haven't needed LVM (or RAID for that matter) in the almost 20
> > years Linux has been my personal OS.
> >

> For your private use, it might be OK, but when you need flexibility, you
> understand what you were missing. And mostly you start thinking from there
> and decide if it is worth implementing.

In my responses, I was referring to a "private" system -- mine: a box
under the desk and only one user, me.  Now if it had mulitple users or
it was a server, even a family only one, it's configuration with future
expansions in mind would be different tailored to the vagaries of users.

It's not that I reject LVM out of hand.  I researched it some years
ago.  Even set up a VM LVM system with 2 virtual drives to learn the
basics.  For my new system, I revisited LVM as an option because I had
added a new criteria to the system -- more than basic video editing, but
after some thought discovered a simplier solution that didn't need RAID
or LVM. Although, I'll set up the new system to make adding LVM easier,
if the need every arises.

> >> For example I leave some percentage of the disc unused and can increase
> >> the any partition when needed - because I do not know which one will get
> >> filled first. Now this can be challengeing without lvm and lvm does not
> >> come with significant overhead. So why not?!
> >
> > I'm VERY diligent about pruning and deleting old or unneed files, data,
> > apps, etc.  For example, my Wheezy install which I used for 5 years
> > (until support was dropped): / 16GB 45% full; /home 207GB 43% full. I'm
> > not a gamer.  So, no humongous installs there.  I have no music, video
> > or movies taking up space. I don't even use a desktop environment.
> > Window manager and a single panel only. And I'm the only user of the
> > system.  My Stretch install (about 6 months old) has even lower
> > percentages, but that's to be expected.
> >
> > Obviously, how and what you use for system for are very different from
> > mine.
>
> Obviously, but even for a smaller system it does not hurt to use LVM.

Even if the overhead is low, why use it if there's no real need? Kinda
like snow tires on your car, and you live in Florida. ;-)