Re: Migrate Stretch to New UEFI Build?

On Fri, 11 Jan 2019 21:11:53 -0500
Michael Stone <mstone@debian.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 04:56:07PM -0800, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> >>
> >> This is a really bad idea, and will cause far more trouble than it can
> >> possibly save in the future. You do need one EFI partition per system,
> >> and you can have different directories there for different OSs.
> >>

> >You misunderstood as I was too general in my post about partitioning.
> >
> >I WILL have a dedicated EFI System Partition (ESP) formatted FAT32
> >marked with the "boot" flag AS WELL AS a dedicated partition with a
> >mount point of /boot  /boot/efi will be the mount point for the ESP. As
> >far as I've read UEFI booting firmware, etc. does not require this.
> >It's a Linux recommendation.  But I could be wrong: UEFI/GPT is new to
> >me.
>
> I'm not really sure what you're trying to say here. Yes, the UEFI spec

The reason I wanted a dedicated boot partition was related to possible
future implementations, if needed, of encryption and LVM.  Now, after
more research, I've concluded I have no need for LVM, but encryption
is a possibility in the future.  Need more research.  Only played
with it years ago on an old notebook, but the installer set it all up.

> doesn't talk about where to put the efi partition in a linux system,
> because it isn't a linux spec. In theory you can put it anywhere or
> nowhere (it's not used in day-to-day operation at all). But, if you
> intend to put grub on it using the normal install process, it needs to
> be in /boot/efi or the install won't work. (By default it will be in
> /boot/efi/EFI/debian.) It is possible to manually put it somewhere else,
> or to use a directory other than debian. I'm not sure why you would
> decide to mount it elsewhere, as I can't see any benefit to doing so.
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I didn't.  Wanted dedicated ESP mounted on /boot/efi as recommended.
And wanted /boot to be a separated partition for the reason noted
above, and not a directory in /.

> Putting grub in a directory other than "EFI/debian" does allow for
> multiple OSs to have their own boot loaders which can be started from
> the UEFI boot menu. (E.g., you could have EFI/stretch, EFI/centos7,
> EFI/sid, etc.) In this case I would still keep the efi partition mounted
> on /boot/efi to reduce long-term confusion. I'd also add new directories
> instead of trying to keep multiple versions of debian from overwriting
> the debian directory.

I have been unable to find so far any detailed documentation on how to
manually set up a Linux EFI booting system -- single or mulit-boot.
What goes where. Even what to use. Etc.

> In addition to the efi partition, where the boot loader goes, you also
> need a /boot partition where the kernel and the grub menu configuration
> go. (Actually, in most cases this does not need to be a separate
> partition, but you do need a /boot directory.) You talk about sharing
> the /boot partition and this is what I said was a really bad idea: have
> a separate /boot per install or you'll have multiple installs stomping
> on each other's boot configs.
>
> Just about everything above can in theory be worked around or done
> differently, but you'll be way outside of what you can expect support
> for at that point.

Thanks for your input, suggestions and recommendations.